Here are five tips that you can use to stay ahead of the curve while taking classes online.
1. Learn Keyboard Shortcuts
There’s nothing better than utilizing quick keys when cranking out an assignment on your computer. Check these out!
- Ctrl+Z/Cmd+Z – Undo last action
- Ctrl+C/Cmd+C – Copy selected item
- Ctrl+V/Cmd+V – Paste selected item
- Ctrl+Shift+T/Cmd+Shift+T – Reopens the last tab you closed (Google Chrome)
- Alt+Tab/Cmd+Tab – Switch between open programs
- Ctrl+D/Cmd+D – Bookmark current web page
- Ctrl+F/Cmd+F – Search the current page or document
- Ctrl+N/Cmd+N – Open a new browser window
2. Integrate Texting Features on Your Computer
If you’re working on any sort of project that requires online collaboration, texting on your laptop is an excellent communication and file-sharing tool. Getting this set up on your computer can be a little easier for Apple users, but there are apps for non-Apple users that function similarly: mightytext and Pushbullet.
3. View Multiple Windows on One Screen
Are you tired of clicking between multiple windows on your screen when you’d rather just see both at once? The good news is, you can! Here’s the shortcut:
- PC – Windows key+left or right arrow.
- Mac – Hold down the green “expand screen” button in the top left corner of your screen, then drag the window to either the left or right side of your screen.
4. Manage Your Passwords
Do you use one password for all of your online accounts? It might be easy to remember, but they are also easy to hack! Keep your information safe by using an outside app to manage your account passwords, and generate new and safe ones so you don’t have to remember them all. Some noteworthy password apps to check out include LastPass and Dashlane.
5. Utilize Orientation for Online Learners
Calling all SDState students! The last, and best, tip for staying ahead of the curve for your online courses is being a pro at navigating D2L. If you are an online student at SDState, you will find a course on the homepage of your D2L account called SDSU Orientation for Online Learners. This is an awesome tool to help you navigate the D2L program and feel confident in managing your coursework.